This linguine with clam sauce is one of our favorite, easy weeknight meals. It feels very indulgent but can be made with just a few pantry ingredients. Jump to Recipe
Having quick weeknight meals on hand helps keep me from ordering takeout on those really busy nights when everything goes sideways. You know those nights, right? The whole family think they are starving and driving you crazy. You’ve been running errands all day or had a seriously LONG day at work. The thought of making a meal makes you wanna hide in the closet and call the pizza guy. On the other hand, you know ordering takeout can quickly blow a food budget and your family is eating food that is not nourishing their bodies properly. Let’s just add to the mom guilt, shall we?
I consider this recipe one of our pantry meals because with the exception of the fresh cherry tomatoes, it can be made completely with pantry ingredients. I even have a pantry stable swap for the cherry tomatoes! Having pantry meals on hand is important for several reasons. Aside from having a quick 20 minute meals, having a well stocked pantry gives you options. I firmly believe in being prepared for whatever life throws at you.
You never know when job loss, financial crisis, illness, terrible weather or currently, food rations brought on by the Coronavirus scare. Having a minimum of 2 weeks of food in your pantry is an absolute must. It’s better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it! Even though we try to follow as fresh, organic, pasture raised and grass fed diet as possible…sometimes you just need to have food.
FRESH TO SHELF-STABLE SWAPS
- butter – olive oil
- fresh cherry tomatoes – sundried tomatoes
- in-shell clams – canned clams
- fresh onion – freeze dried onion
- bulb garlic – freeze dried garlic
- fresh cream – heavy cream powder, won’t make ice cream but good for cooking
HOW TO MAKE LINGUINE WITH CLAMS
1) Gather your ingredients. Not pictured is my heavy cream and garlic…because I forgot. Ha! You’ll need:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 box linguine (I have 2 pictured because I believe in planned leftovers)
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes (not totally necessary but the acid they bring breaks up the heaviness of the cream sauce
- 2 cans clams (I had 3 in my pantry so I threw in the extra one)
- 1 onion
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 2 cups heavy cream (I find this raw, locally, you can’t beat the taste!)
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder or cornstarch (with a little water to make a slurry)
2) Cook your pasta according to al dente directions.
3) Dice your onion and garlic. Strain your clams reserving the liquid. Slice your tomatoes in half.
4) Heat your butter in a large pot. I made this recipe in my trusty dutch oven. It’s big enough to handle the job.
5) Saute until your onions start to brown, 5-10 minutes. Add your garlic and remember it only takes 30-60 seconds for garlic to start to burn. Be prepared.
6) Add your clam liquid and then cream. Turn heat low enough so it’s just under boiling. Stir frequently.
7) Stir in arrowroot slurry.
8) Stir in tomatoes and clams and let cook for 2 minutes
9) Mix in pasta and let cook for 1-2 minutes
Linguine With Clams
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 box linguine cooked al dente
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes sliced
- 2 15oz cans clams drained, reserve liquid
- 1 onion chopped
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder with enough water to make a slurry
- Cook your pasta according to al dente directions.
- Dice your onion and garlic. Strain your clams reserving the liquid. Slice your tomatoes in half.
- Heat your butter in a large pot. I made this recipe in my trusty dutch oven. It's big enough to handle the job.
- Saute until your onions start to brown, 5-10 minutes. Add your garlic and remember it only takes 30-60 seconds for garlic to start to burn. Be prepared.
- Add your clam liquid and then cream. Turn heat low enough so it's just under boiling. Stir frequently.
- Stir in arrowroot slurry.
- Stir in tomatoes and clams and let cook for 2 minutes
- Mix in pasta and let cook for 1-2 minutes
What are your favorite weeknight meals?
Join me in the 5 To 9 Mamas group! We discuss homemaking, homesteading, homeschooling and natural living!
If you’ve tried LINGUINE WITH CLAMS, or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!